Monday, September 12, 2016

Women in Science by Rachel Ignotofsky

To a lot of kids, science is booooooooring. It's something they do because they have to, and definitely not something that's enjoyable or inspiring. I hated science in school. I mean, some of it fascinated me, but it all seemed hard and undoable and nothing I ever really wanted to invest time in. Besides, girls weren't exactly encouraged to pursue anything related to science.

Fast-forward to now: I have a daughter who loves science. She really does! She'll be doing her science for the day and get excited about something she just read and start telling me about it. I'm thrilled that she loves it, and I want to encourage her, but I can't help it: the technical terms and facts make me glaze over. But I try. I really do! I want my other kids to love science, too. Science, after all, is a subject that causes an awareness of the awesomeness of God like no other!

For that reason, and because I'm a homeschool mom, nonfiction books, especially those that look interesting, grab my attention.

This book didn't disappoint! The cover art and colorful, quirky illustrations on every page made this book a joy to read. It's beautiful! The info presented is done so in a matter that holds interest. It doesn't drag. There is a timeline, list of lab tools, graphs, glossary of terms, and links to provide further info on the amazing women who "star" in this book and their work. I had never heard of most of the women, and I was absolutely amazed at what they accomplished, especially considering the hardships and discrimination they faced.

I highly recommend this book! It might just inspire your girl to get more interested in science!

5 out of 5 stars.












Read more about Women in Science, 50 Fearless Pioneers who Changed the World" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment